For those of you who are looking to take that next step in your steady uptake of the jQuery library, I can absolutely recommend Cody Lindley’s latest creation, “jQuery enlightenment“! It’s a breath of fresh air to be honest! It’s an overview of the jQuery library containing code samples (all available through JSBin.com), notes from the author and many applicable techniques.
- Core jQuery – all the foundation stuff is covered in this chapter, but Cody doesn’t hold back – he explains everything in considerable detail.
- Selecting – the various ways to select elements are outlined here, plus a couple of common problems are addressed, such as “selecting elements by searching attribute values using regular expressions”.
- Traversing – an overview of some of the available DOM traversal methods.
- Manipulation – covers the basics of element manipulation.
- HTML Forms – quite an exhaustive chapter that details the techniques used to work with forms in jQuery.
- Events – an overview of how jQuery manages events plus some applicable examples.
- jQuery and the web browser – A couple of useful snippets.
- Plugins – how to create them, best practices, useful advice.
- Performance best practices – Some useful advice for the performance conscious developer.
- Effets – An introduction to jQuery’s animation capabilities, plus a couple of helpful tips regarding its usage.
- Ajax – A brief overview of jQuery’s XHR capabilities (plus JSONP)
- Miscellaneous concepts – Useful advice that doesn’t quite fit into any of the above chapters.
Beginners and intermediate level jQuery coders will benefit from this book. Even if you’re ‘advanced’ you might pick up a couple of things. Purchasing a PDF copy is only $15, which seems a reasonable price to me, plus a portion of that goes directly to the jQuery project itself!
From the introduction:
jQuery Enlightenment was written to express, in short-order, the concepts essential to intermediate and advanced jQuery development. Its purpose is to instill in you, the reader, practices that jQuery developers take as common knowledge. Each chapter contains concepts essential to becoming a seasoned jQuery developer.